Pages

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Water Fasting Part I: Acting Different

My first self-experiment of 2012 is water fasting. It started at 7 PM tonight…updates to come periodically.

My goal is fast for three days in a row. This means drinking only water and taking a daily multivitamin.

I have never fasted in my life. Based on the feedback of a friend of mine, one who does 24-hour fasts twice a week; I have decided to start with a 24 hour fast. Based on the success of this initial fast, next week I will attempt either a 36-hour or 48-hour fast and continue to increase the duration of the fasts each week until I reach 72 hours.

Why fast?
For thousands of years humans have been fasting for the purported mental and bodily health benefits.

I am fasting for the health benefits and because I like a challenge and I am interested in experimenting with habits and behaviors that are widely practiced but often overlooked.

I am no expert on fasting so if you have any comments on the practice please post them in the comments section below or send me a tweet at @peterbsmith.

Words of encouragement will also be loved and appreciated!

-PS

More information on water fasting:
On Fasting by Dr. Ben Kim

[Update 1/3/12: 24 Hour Fasting Trial Results]
Taking a 24 hour break from eating was easy! I was able to go about my day in a normal fashion without experiencing fatigue. It wasn’t until the 23rd hour that I started feeling any noticeable hunger pangs and those subsided after about 30 minutes. This trial was an unqualified success. Next step…48 hour fast. Woo!