Pages

Monday, January 2, 2012

Peter B. Smith: Weirdly, Normal

I’m an American college aged student (21 yrs. old) with a passion for business and helping people. I’m the executive administrator to the CEO of Southwest Paper, a paper manufacturer headquartered in Brookline, MA, and the CEO and Founder of www.iphonehow.to.

I have a love/hate relationship with Boston University. I’ve been away from my home in Long Island for the better part of four years. In that time, I have taken two semesters of absence from school and may be taking another break this semester. I have spent most of my time in the School of Management (SMG) but recently I switched to Computer Science. If I go for a Spring semester in 2012 I will be going back as a SMG student. I do not believe that a college degree is necessary for my success, but I have been told by just about everyone I know that it is smart and worthwhile to get a degree just to put it on a résumé.


I am open-minded, perhaps to a fault. I love trying new things, learning new things, meeting new people, and exploring the differences and similarities between cultures.

My New Year's Resolution is to begin a process of rigorous self-experimentation related to habit and behavior change and measured self-improvement.

I’ve grown up with a computer in my bedroom, an iPhone in my pocket, and with an addiction to learning all about technology and the world around me. For a long time my mind went back and forth between knowing for sure what I am passionate about and having no clue at all. A few months ago, at a Startup Weekend, my passion became unwaveringly clear. I am an entrepreneur.

I know there are lots of people my age out there who don’t know what to do with their lives. There are people my age who don’t know how to go after their long term goals in the face of ADD machines and services like iPhones, Androids and Facebooks.

And I’m no different.

So even though at times I feel alone in this world, and at other times I feel totally connected, I know that I am weirdly, normal.